Postcard — March 27, 2015, 8:00 am

On Broadway

“On and on the story went. I had trouble taking notes. Yet I saw that there was a glow in his eyes—a special little twinkle—and I began to feel suspicious.”

Jon sitting in his usual spot on Broadway. Photograph by the author.

Jon sitting in his usual spot on Broadway. Photograph by the author.

The first time I walked by Jon, he was sitting on the sidewalk next to the building where I worked, reading a book. I dropped some change into his coffee cup and said, “Hey, take care, man.”

“Thank you.”

Jon had a beard and a quality of repose about him, and he lacked the swollen facial features and abrasive tone of an addict or an alcoholic. The cardboard sign he used for begging read: Think. What would you do if you were here? All I ask is for a smile, change, it all helps, a hello, I’m human and I enjoy human contact. Thanks.

Another day, after I gave him a few coins, I noticed that sitting beside him was a stack of thin incense boxes. They were swollen with water damage, and I assumed he’d salvaged them from the trash. “Please, take one,” he said. I did so, and thanked him.

“Watch out,” I added, “I think it’s going to rain.”

“I can feel it in my bones,” he replied, in a thick Southern accent.

I smiled and was about to leave, but there was something to the way he held his book—a devotion beyond that of someone merely trying to escape into a thick paperback. “What are you reading?” I asked.

Newjack,” he said. The book had an image of a prison guard on its cover.

“Oh, Ted Conover.”

The decibel level of his voice was somewhat low, which made it hard to hear over Broadway’s midday traffic and pedestrian noise. Seeing Jon alone on the sidewalk as deliverymen, food vendors, and well-dressed professionals bustled around him, I wondered if he spent a lot of time by himself. Many years ago, apartment-sitting in Spanish Harlem, I was charged with looking after an extremely recalcitrant (maybe even malevolent) cat, to whom I was grossly allergic. I spoke to no one for days at a time, and I noticed that when I was forced to interact, buying groceries at a bodega, my voice had gotten much quieter, as if it had adjusted itself to my thoughts. I had to force myself to speak up, just to be heard.

“Other homeless people take drugs and drink,” Jon said. “Nonfiction is my thing. I’m writing my autobiography. It’s called God Blinked.”

“Interesting title.”

“God blinks sometimes and isn’t watching,” he said. “When bad things happen to good people. God blinked in my life. My wife and child were murdered three years ago.”

“That’s terrible, Jon. By who?”

“He was an intruder. My daughter was nine. And my wife was pregnant.”

“Where did this happen?”

“Okeechobee, Florida.”

“Did they get the guy who did it?”

Jon nodded. “He was sent to prison for twenty-five years,” he said. But then he added, shaking his head, “He’s eligible for parole in October.”

I told Jon that if he would sit down the following day and allow me to interview him, I’d buy him lunch. Assuming that what he had told me was true, I was interested in how he had survived such a loss. I wanted to be of help somehow. Maybe I could tell some of his story for him.

In a café on Bleecker Street, Jon told me that he was born on February 29, 1960, in Skene, Scotland. The middle child of triplets, he was put up for adoption when he was six days old. “My parents did not think I was going to make it,” he said. “I was born blind and deaf. That’s why when you talk to me, I stare at you—I’m reading lips.”

Jon said a U.S. Navy military policeman and his wife adopted him, and brought him to America. His adoptive father died about ten years ago, after which his adoptive mother committed suicide, hanging herself in the closet of the family home in Texas. During his childhood, they moved constantly: Australia, Japan, Washington State, Miami, the Philippines, San Diego, and, finally, Amarillo, where he claims to have graduated from high school when he was thirteen and to have scored 145 on his I.Q. test.

“As you can see,” he said, “I read. I finished that book you gave me last night.” I had given him a copy of Bernard Wasserstein’s On the Eve: The Jews of Europe Before the Second World War. Since I worked at a magazine, it was easy to pluck such things from the discard pile. Apparently Jon had polished off the Conover book and read another 576 pages of On the Eve in the last ten hours. “I consider myself above the average homeless person in the street,” he declared. “Most of them have no education. They’re either running from the law or a family member or they’re chronic alcoholics or drug addicts.”

There are now more homeless people in New York City than at any time since the Great Depression of the 1930s. In November of 2014, more than 60,000 people slept each night in the city’s municipal shelters—including 25,600 homeless children, according to the Coalition for the Homeless. Jon has, at times, attempted to take advantage of the city’s shelters. But he’s always found himself back on the street, worse for wear.

“I went to the mission on Lafayette when it snowed last winter and said I just needed a place to stay,” he told me. “But after a few days, I had to go back out onto the street. I said, ‘What about your program here?’ They said, ‘Since you’re not an alcoholic or drug addict, we can’t help you.’”

He had considered pretending to be an alcoholic, he said, but ultimately dismissed the idea: “When you lie like that, you’re lying to yourself.” He’s also tried his luck with the Department of Homeless Services. “You go there and they put you in the worst possible environment. They assigned me to a shelter on Wards Island. It’s a place for young men, and I’m not young. I was robbed. I was asked if I’d perform fellatio on someone, and when I said no, I got my teeth knocked out.” He grinned, displaying a mouthful of broken, blackened teeth—stubs and slivers, mostly.

After Wards Island, Jon was moved to another shelter, the Bedford-Atlantic facility in Brooklyn. There he was stabbed with a piece of plastic that broke off inside his stomach. He said that the doctors at the hospital had been forced to dig out the snapped-off shank without any painkillers, since he’s allergic to opiates as well as antibiotics. At this point he pulled up his T-shirt and showed me a scar in the middle of his stomach, about six inches long and two inches wide.

While I ate, Jon made many claims about his past: he said that after his graduation from high school, he got a B.A. from Texas Tech and then went to Georgetown University on a scholarship before obtaining a master’s degree in social work from Johns Hopkins; he said that he had nowhere to shave and no clean clothes for job interviews; he said that he had been a vegan for thirty years, and that he believed the killing of animals was murder. We spoke in this way for an hour. Before we left the café, he said, “Read Proverbs Three, verses five and six.” We agreed to meet the next day and he added, “I’ll see you then, unless I get killed. If so, I’ll see you in heaven.”

As soon as I got back to the office, I looked up those verses:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and do not rely on your own understanding.
Know Him in all your ways,
and He will direct your paths.

The next day, Jon and I sat down again at the same café. Now he looked a little like Red Buttons with longer, stringier hair, and his keen eyes blazed with intelligence. And yet Jon seemed to me to be a gentle soul. It’s that very quality within the circumstances of his homelessness that was such an afflictive paradox to behold. I intuited that bad things had happened to him long ago. At one point in our conversation, I asked whether his adoptive parents had ever been abusive.

Yes, he said, he had experienced physical, emotional, and sexual abuse from both parents. He had been raped by his father between the ages of three and twelve. His father would say, “I have the right.” Sometimes his father sodomized him and forced him to perform obscene acts with his mother at the same time.

“It was spiritual abuse,” he told me. “Rape of the soul.”

On and on the story went. I had trouble taking notes. Yet I saw that there was a glow in his eyes—a special little twinkle—and I began to feel suspicious. There was an unrelenting quality to the abominations that Jon related. He said that the abuse had given him PTSD. “I’m living because I want to live,” he said. “It would be so simple to end it all.”

I asked if he had ever tried to get help as a child. He said he had turned to his guidance counselor at his elementary school, but when she and her husband visited him and his parents at home, all four adults had sex with him. (At this point the sheer extremity of his narrative—like a black comedy devised to break the spirit—was simultaneously inducing nausea and the urge to laugh.) Jon said the abuse from his father had stopped when he turned twelve. “He told me I was getting too old,” said Jon. “I was beginning to get, you know, underarm hair. He was a pedophile. I come from a family with a history of pedophilia.” I asked if his father or mother were alcoholics or drug addicts. He said his mother drank vodka and Seven Up. I asked if he had ever spoken to a therapist about the abuse, and Jon said that he had briefly seen one in Washington, D.C., when he was eighteen. The therapist’s response was: “You must have enjoyed it.”

“But I was a child,” Jon protested. That was the only session with the therapist. “I pity him,” he added.

The third time I got together with Jon, it was a Monday, and he said he’d been robbed four times over the weekend and his cup of coins had been stolen while he was asleep.

“By who?”

“Rock stars,” he said. “Crackheads.”

He had spent the ten dollars I’d given him on a trip to the veterinarian for Cuddles, his long-haired chihuahua. For another twenty-six dollars, he said, he could take a bus north to the Appalachian Trail, where he planned to forage—he had a book on the subject in his pack. He wanted to take Cuddles, who was now staying with a friend of his in the Bronx. When I asked what Cuddles would eat, he said that the dog was a vegan, too. Mostly he just wanted to get out of New York City: “Ninety-nine percent of the people look at me like I’m scum.” Someone in a parked car had whipped a penny at him the other day.

I asked whether anything still inspired him. “The fact that my wife and daughter are in a far better place,” he said. “That they’re not suffering.”

Jon told me that he met his late wife, Victoria Anne when they were both four years old. As children, they told each others’ mothers they were going to get married. When they were both eighteen, just after she graduated from high school in 1978, they did. For a long time afterward they tried to have a child. “Finally we were blessed with a daughter,” he said. “They did an encephalogram when Victoria Anne was six months pregnant. They told us our daughter was going to be born blind and deaf and asked if we wanted to abort her.” Jon paused. “No,” he said.

Their daughter, Tamara Robbyn, was born blind and deaf, and Jon soon started teaching himself Braille. “She was a very beautiful little lady,” he said.

In 2009, a great opportunity came along: having worked for fifteen years as a paramedic in Texas, he was offered a job as head paramedic for a fire station in Okeechobee, Florida. He moved his family down there and his wife became pregnant with another child. But on the afternoon of July 17, 2010, an intruder named Tommy Lesoda broke into his home and raped, sodomized, and murdered both Victoria and Tamara. Then he cut their throats, Jon said. He returned home after work, found them, and dialed 911.

“They accused me, of course,” Jon told me. The police questioned him extensively, but his alibi stood up. “I was on a call to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida.” He continued: “I had a nervous breakdown. I stopped talking, I stopped eating, stopped taking care of myself.” He was hospitalized for three days and evaluated, then released. “When I got out, I started wandering.” Jon said he walked from Florida to California, taking seven and a half months, and wound up in San Bernardino.

He pulled a heart-shaped cushion from his bag with the words I Love You printed on the fabric, holding it with both hands. It was, he told me, the last gift his daughter had ever given him. “I still have my daughter’s teddy bear with me,” he said. “It’s stained with her blood.” He also showed me a small mesh bag filled with lavender, a gift from his wife.

After we parted, I decided I had to try to verify some of his stories. I called the City of Okeechobee Police Department to inquire about the killing. But the clerk I spoke to told me there was no record of his wife or daughter having been murdered on July 17, 2010, or on any other date. Nor was there any record of Tommy Lesoda, the alleged perpetrator. The clerk, who had worked in the department for ten years, said that the murder of a mother and child is something she would definitely remember. Next I tried the Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office. They too could find no record of the victims of the alleged killer. Searches for Lesoda and Lesota and Losodo also turned up nothing. As I subsequently learned, there were no inmates by these names in the entire Florida state penitentiary system.

For the heck of it, I tried to find his elementary school in Amarillo, Texas. There was nothing under the name he had given me. I found one in Charleston, West Virginia. But not in Amarillo. I also called the fire department in Clarendon, Texas, where Jon said he had been employed before moving to Okeechobee—and was told that all paramedics working there between 1972 and 1987 were volunteers. I called the City of Okeechobee Fire Department, was referred to the county department, and then connected with a firefighter who’s been there since 1990. When I asked if Jon had worked there as a paramedic in 2009, his answer was succinct: “No.” I attempted to run down Victor and Vivian Boynton, the friends who were supposedly taking care of Cuddles in the Bronx, but found no trace of them in the Bronx or Manhattan telephone directories.

When I next saw Jon, I told him that neither the police in Okeechobee nor the County Sheriff’s Office could locate any of the names he had given me. He just looked down and was completely still and silent. Like a stone.

I walked over to the ATM, got a twenty, gave it to him, and left.

What did I know of what had truly happened to this man? I had heard him out, and, like a man in the desert dying of thirst, he’d drunk the cool water of this attention right down. Perhaps that was the point: desperate for connection, he had concocted the sort of details that would guarantee the greatest degree of sympathy from a stranger—and the biggest donations, too. As a friend said to me, “It sounds like he’s crazy. Why are you talking to a crazy man? What’s the matter with you? What do you expect?”

Those were good questions.

I still think that the man who represented himself to me as Jon was not necessarily lying. His fabricated, imaginary world might well have been real to him. I think. Unless I was simply a mark unconsciously searching for a con man. That too seems unlikely to me—but after all, I was an actor for many years, and have always thrived on performance and make-believe, and suspect that there is no lie that does not have some fundamental truth. I had listened to Jon, suspecting he was lying but not letting it matter, at least for a while. I wanted to accept and honor whatever he had to say, keeping a close watch on my wallet and hoping for some expression of a greater truth.

In mid-September, I was walking along West 3rd Street when I saw Jon again, walking toward me. He didn’t see me. I stopped and waved.

He looked different. Much better—relaxed, poised, even peaceful, which I took to be the gifts of regular sleep. He told me that he was living at the Riverside Hotel up on Broadway and 180th Street. Later he told me it was actually a condemned building that rented out rooms for forty-five dollars per night, and if he couldn’t come up with the full amount, they let him clean the premises as payment.

A week later, I found him sitting on a stoop on the southeast corner of Broadway and Houston. He still looked relatively rested and calm, with Cuddles nestled beside him. I noted once again that I had called Texas and Florida and was unable to verify many of the things he had told me. “Why do you think that is?” I said.

“I don’t know. I don’t remember what I told you.”

“Why are you living out here?”

“Ever hear of the martyr complex?”

We talked about cities, about how cheap it had been to rent space in Soho during the 1960s, and I told him that a painter friend of mine said you could live pretty inexpensively in Bucharest these days. We talked as well about how much warmer it was in the South. I asked him again why he was living in New York City.

“I like watching the people,” he said. “The different kinds of people.”

I gave Jon some more books and we agreed to meet the next day at noon. But I couldn’t find him. I looked up and down Broadway, then between Prince and Houston: nothing. He seemed to have vanished.

The following week I ran into Jon at Broadway and Bond, and told him I had been looking for him. He said he had been looking for me, too, and apologized for missing our meeting last week. He had gotten a moving job, he said, and had emailed to let me know he couldn’t make it, using a demo computer at Best Buy and his daughter’s old email account, whose address began with DadsLilPrincess. Later, when I carefully checked my email, I could find no message.

I asked if he wanted me to buy him something to eat or a coffee. He said no.

Jon pointed out a tall, skinny, man across the street in a purple shirt, who was lugging some junk. “He’s a rock star,” he said, making it sound like a bad thing. The rock star was collecting discarded metal from a remodel, selling it elsewhere, and using the proceeds to buy crack. Once Jon tried to park his shopping cart behind the dumpsters for the night. “Better not leave it here,” the man told him. “Someone might steal it.” Jon said, “Meaning him.”

On our last visit, he showed me the books he had found in the street. There was a biography of Henry VIII, Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk, and something about the Vietnam War.

“Pretty good,” I said. “Isn’t it amazing what people throw away?”

“You don’t throw away books! How can people throw away a book?”

Jon said that he keeps his library in his room at the hotel. I asked how many books he had accumulated there. He said, “About forty-five.”

Not for the first time, I asked Jon which diagnoses he had received from doctors. “Chronic depression,” he replied. “PTSD. And now a new one, social avoidance disorder.”

“I’m sure I’ve got that last one too,” I said. “And anybody who isn’t depressed these days has got to be crazy.” We laughed.

Jon said that sometimes people walking by would kick his cupful of change across the sidewalk.

“You mean, like, guys looking for a fight?”

“No, just regular people.”

We agreed to meet at noon, right where we were standing, in two days. When I showed up, Jon did not appear. I decided to wait for five minutes, and noticed how long five minutes could be. At the end of the day, I went back again to the same spot, searching for him. Soon the October twilight would turn the sky red and orange and purple, like a beautiful wound, and the buildings gray, like old stones. But he was not there.

Adrian Kneubuhl is a writer who lives in New York City.

Single Page

Get access to 169 years of
Harper’s for only $23.99

United States Canada



November 2019

Men at Work

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.

To Serve Is to Rule

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.

The Bird Angle

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.

The K-12 Takeover

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.

The $68,000 Fish

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.

view Table Content


Men at Work·

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.

“You’re being reborn,” the voice says. “Exiting the womb of your mother. Coming into the earth as a small baby. Everything is new.” It is a Saturday morning in mid-March, and right now I’m lying on a yoga mat in a lodge in Ohio, surrounded by fifty other men who’ve come to the Midwest for a weekend of manhood-confirming adventures. The voice in question belongs to Aaron Blaine, a facilitator for Evryman, the men’s group orchestrating this three-day retreat. All around me, men are shedding tears as Blaine leads us on a guided meditation, a kind of archetypal montage of Norman Rockwell boyhood. “You’re starting to figure things out,” he says, in somniferous baritone. “Snow, for the first time. Sunshine. Start to notice the smells, the tastes, the confusion. The fear. And you’re growing. You’re about ten years old. The world’s huge and scary.”

Even though it’s only the second day of the Evryman retreat, it’s worth noting that I’ve already been the subject of light fraternal teasing. Already I’ve been the recipient of countless unsought hugs. Already I have sat in Large Groups and Small Groups, and watched dozens of middle-aged men weep with shame and contrition. I’ve had a guy in the military tell me he wants to be “a rock for his family.” I’ve heard a guy from Ohio say that his beard “means something.” Twice I’ve hiked through the woods to “reconnect with Mother Nature,” and I have been addressed by numerous men as both “dude” and “brother.” I have performed yoga and yard drills and morning calisthenics. I’ve heard seven different men play acoustic guitar. I’ve heard a man describe his father by saying, “There wasn’t a lot of ball-tossing when I was growing up.” Three times I’ve been queried about how I’m “processing everything,” and at the urinal on Friday night, two men warned me about the upcoming “Anger Ceremony,” which is rumored to be the weekend’s “pièce de résistance.”

To Serve Is to Rule·

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.

The WASP story is personal for me. I arrived at Yale in 1971 from a thoroughly mediocre suburb in New Jersey, the second-generation hybrid of Irish and Italian stock riding the postwar boom. Those sockless people in Top-Siders, whose ancestors’ names and portraits adorned the walls, were entirely new to me. I made friends with some, but I was not free of a corrosive envy of their habitus of ease and entitlement.

I used to visit one of those friends in the Hamptons, in the 1970s, when the area was about wood-paneled Ford station wagons, not Lamborghinis. There was some money in the family, but not gobs, yet they lived two blocks from the beach—prime real estate. Now, down the road from what used to be their house is the residence of Ira Rennert. It’s one of the largest private homes in the United States. The union-busting, pension-fund-looting Rennert, whose wealth comes from, among other things, chemical companies that are some of the worst polluters in the country, made his first money in the 1980s as a cog in Michael Milken’s junk-bond machine. In 2015, a court ordered him to return $215 million he had appropriated from one of his companies to pay for the house. One-hundred-car garages and twenty-one (or maybe twenty-nine) bedrooms don’t come cheap.

The Bird Angle·

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.

I slept for a good seven hours on the overnight flight from Spain to Peru, and while I slept I dreamed that I was leading American visitors around a park in Berlin, looking for birds on a hazy, overcast day. There wasn’t much to see until we noticed a distant commotion in the sky. Large raptors were panicking, driven back and forth by something threatening them from above. The commotion moved closer. The clouds parted, an oval aperture backed with blue. In it two seraphim hovered motionless. “Those are angels,” I told the group.

They were between us and the sun, but an easy ­I.D. Size aside, no other European bird has two sets of wings. The upper wings cast their faces into shadow. Despite the glare I could make out their striking peaches-­and-­cream coloration. Ivory white predominates, hair a faint yellow, eyes blue, wings indescribably iridescent. Faces blank and expressionless, as with all birds.

The K-12 Takeover·

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.

Last May, the families of students at Cypress Academy, an independent charter school in New Orleans, received an email announcing that the school would close when classes ended the following week and that all its students would be transferred to another nearby charter for the upcoming year. Parents would have the option of entering their children in the city’s charter-enrollment lottery, but the lottery’s first round had already taken place, and the most desirable spots for the fall were filled.

Founded in 2015, a decade after New Orleans became the nation’s first city to begin replacing all its public schools with charters, Cypress was something of a rarity. Like about nine in ten of the city’s charter schools, it filled spaces by lottery rather than by selective admission. But while most of the nonselective schools in New Orleans had majority populations of low-income African-American students, Cypress mirrored the city’s demographics, drawing the children of professionals—African-American and white alike—as well as poorer students. Cypress reserved 20 percent of its seats for children with reading difficulties, and it offered a progressive education model, including “learning by doing,” rather than the strict conduct codes that dominated the city’s nonselective schools. In just three years, the school had outperformed many established charters—a particular feat given that one in four Cypress students had a disability, double the New Orleans average. Families flocked to Cypress, especially ones with children who had disabilities.

Five Stories·

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.

how high? that high

He had his stick that was used mostly to point at your head if your head wasn’t held up proudly.

I still like that man—Holger! He had been an orphan!

He came up to me once because there was something about how I was moving my feet that wasn’t according to the regulations or his expectations.

The room was a short wide room with a short wide window with plenty of artificial light.

Cost of renting a giant panda from the Chinese government, per day:


A recent earthquake in Chile was found to have shifted the city of Concepción ten feet to the west, shortened Earth’s days by 1.26 microseconds, and shifted the planet’s axis by nearly three inches.

The limited edition Nike Air Max 97s, white sneakers that have holy water from the Jordan River in their soles and have frankincense-scented insoles, sold out in minutes.

Subscribe to the Weekly Review newsletter. Don’t worry, we won’t sell your email address!


Jesus Plus Nothing

= Subscribers only.
Sign in here.
Subscribe here.


At Ivanwald, men learn to be leaders by loving their leaders. “They’re so busy loving us,” a brother once explained to me, “but who’s loving them?” We were. The brothers each paid $400 per month for room and board, but we were also the caretakers of The Cedars, cleaning its gutters, mowing its lawns, whacking weeds and blowing leaves and sanding. And we were called to serve on Tuesday mornings, when The Cedars hosted a regular prayer breakfast typically presided over by Ed Meese, the former attorney general. Each week the breakfast brought together a rotating group of ambassadors, businessmen, and American politicians. Three of Ivanwald’s brothers also attended, wearing crisp shirts starched just for the occasion; one would sit at the table while the other two poured coffee. 

Subscribe Today